Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Porto Velho


Hey guys,

Well, we had a pretty good week. We had interviews with President and Zone Conference. We left our house Thursday afternoon and headed to the center. Before interviews, we grabbed some açaí (some bitter fruit that's only in the Amazon. We eat it with whipped cream and granola. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's good stuff.) We met up with some other missionaries and headed to the church. My interview with President went well, and afterwards, we headed to the LZs to spend the night because conference was in the chapel right next to their house. Conference was cool. It had a lot of trainings about being more sincere as missionaries and on how to find more families and men to teach/baptize. I gave a quick talk about how my personal study has helped me better understand my purpose as a missionary.

So, we are really going to town and trying to mark a lot more baptisms of families. It looks like we should have a baptism this Sunday if everything goes well, and the Sunday after,too. Télis (one of our investigators who is having problems with wedding papers) told me that he wants me to baptize him. Then he mentioned it would be cool to get baptized in the river....I'm not sure I'm able to do that, but it would be sweet! We are really working hard and focusing our work with families and men.



(Why didn't the elder cross the road? Becuase it wasn't real, it was a lake! -Callen, age 6)

So, I'm starting to get a little worried. The wedding of Télis and Lucimar (the couple that we've been working with for some time) looks like it won't go down this transfer. Probably the next one. The thing that worries me is that I'm pretty much to the point that I want to stay in this area for one more transfer, to be able to see the baptism/wedding. But, whenever a missionary starts to want to stay in an area, he gets transferred. Transfers go down the 23rd, so I guess I'll find out then. I'm fine with whatever happens because I know it's the Lord's will, but we'll see I guess....


Monday, I went on a division with a new American who spent 14 weeks in the Provo MTC (get ready Shannon...) It was interesting to me to see how far my Portuguese has come in a little time. Eight months isn't that long to really learn a language and be fluent, but seeing the new Elder reminded me of when I couldn't speak that well. It reminded me that the Lord really is helping me with the language, and with His help I've been able to improve quickly. I'm still really working on my accent. I'm recognizing Americans (with more time on the mission than me) speaking wrong. I have a fear of that happening to me. So, I'm asking Paredes for a lot of help and I'm really working on mastering my accent. But, I think I'm forgetting English. You guys will see on Mother's day. It's been a while....

That was pretty much my week. Next P-day I'm going fishing! I'm pretty stoked. But anyway, hope you guys have a good week! Love you!

-Elder Eric Stapley

No comments:

Post a Comment